albelli and Photobox Group have merged to create a leading player in the online European Photo Product and Gifting market. Together we now serve a pan-European customer base of over 7 million customers, supported by our 1,150 colleagues across the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Germany, Norway and Sweden. We are focussed on inspiring our customers to easily make beautiful photo products and bring their special moments to life.
As a senior Android developer you will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining robust applications for customers who use Android devices. You will be working in a team of engineers who value teamwork, software quality and testability, learning and growing, being able to focus on what matters and delivering results. You will bring your expertise to make our software and processes better and you will take advantage of ours to work on your own growth.
Our Android app is hybrid: some of the UI is written in HTML and JS wrapped into a rich native shell, providing UX as close to native as possible. While you will be focusing on native development, you will be also expected to understand and work on the frontend part of the app when needed. Some parts of the app are being actively rewritten to be completely native.
You will be a part of a friendly and fun team, where everybody is eager to help each other and pair up on hard problems. Our core values are simplicity, correctness, and performance
Your Qualification and Mindset
- 7+ years of experience in Android application development
- Multiple published enterprise level applications in the Google Play Store
- Proficient in Java and Kotlin
- Experience with functional reactive programming (RxJava, Kotlin Coroutines, etc.)
- Experience with SQLite
- Expert in the Android ecosystem (Android Studio, Google Play Store releases, etc.)
- Paladin of best practices, you defend adaptability and pragmatism as well
- Quality-oriented, you invest in writing tests and documenting code
- Eager to fight technical debt and strategize to prevent it in the future
- You value the business point of view and care about customers
- Proactive, you initiate the conversation with stakeholders and colleagues
- You think and behave as the owner of the team’s software
- You care about results, learning and finding the best answer, not about looking good
- You invest in helping others and growing together as a team
- You are direct and candid in communication, like to be challenged by others and to challenge others
- You are a friendly and respectful human being
- You have a decent track record at getting and providing jokes
- Curious, passionate about code and technology
Great if you have
- Experience with Test-Driven Development
- Understanding of the functional programming paradigms
- Experience with web technologies: CSS, HTML and JS
- Experience with CI/CD culture and tools
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodologies
- A fast-growing e-commerce environment
- An international company hosting over 50 nationalities
- Competitive compensation, relocation support, and lots of benefits (such as a discounted gym membership)
- Budget for personal growth and development, including external training, courses, and conferences
- 26 days of annual leave with a healthy work-life balance
- A flexible hybrid work set up with a minimum of 2 days per month in the office and everything you need for a proper work from home setup
- An informal, fun, proactive, and inclusive culture with a social atmosphere (Friday drinks, parties, sports, etc.) to be resumed properly post COVID-19!
- A central location in one of Europe’s most vibrant cities, Amsterdam!
We are working in a hybrid environment and this role is based in our Amsterdam office, located in the centre of city next to Central Station with stunning views of the harbour, and the numerous canals running through the old city. The office is spread over five floors, with ample amenities and easy walking distance to nearby shops, cafes, and restaurants. The team here is made up of more than 45 nationalities, who work across all areas of the business with a focus on analytics, marketing, HR, and technology.